Pacific Cup...and all that it encompasses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pacific Cup...and all that it encompasses

This is not a forum without a topic on the Pac Cup. With only 102 days left until the slow boats' start (Go Valis!), how prepared is everyone?

In '08, I was busy filling out forms, spending the owner's money and arranging stuff. This year, I'm on an already-prepared boat and not knowing what to do with myself except count the days. Maybe I'll go sailing a few times to remember what it's like.
    How we survived the Pacific Cup

I'm so unprepared I'm not going. But I am getting a custom e-rudder built, and all the stuff I need except the SSB and liferaft.

EVK4: Go sand and varnishish brightwork, that'll keep you busy. An idle crew is a mutinous crew!

Comment

Climb Climb and more Climbing. You should have at least 1 person who can free climb the mast!! The best way to prepare for this is to go to the boat once a weekend and climb up the head stay and back down the mast (with someone tailing you) at 2 months out you should be able to make 2 trips up and down with little fatigue at 1 month 4 trips!! Oh yea get in as much sailing as possible also.

Comment

Originally posted by war dog View Post
        Climb Climb and more Climbing. You should have at least 1 person who can free climb the mast!! The best way to prepare for this is to go to the boat once a weekend and climb up the head stay and back down the mast (with someone tailing you) at 2 months out you should be able to make 2 trips up and down with little fatigue at 1 month 4 trips!! Oh yea get in as much sailing as possible also.
        A back pack filled with rocks while climbing the standing rig is a good work out. As is sanding. And my lawn needs mowing which is a good full body excercise. pm with your availibilty.

Comment

I have an ATN Top Climber. Does that count? Good advice though! I am pretty beat after a long day sailing, 14 days of the exertion and sun exposure would do me in the condition I am in now.

Comment

AD you might not like this advice but I have used this regime or something very close before each Pac-Cup race I have done (5) and have found the conditioning well worth it when you get a spin wrap in a squall at 0300 D/H and totally fatigued.

P I would not want to rely on the time it takes to get up the rig with an ATN when things go south. I recommend a good climbing harness you trust hanging upside down in and can put on in the dark without thinking about it.

Just my .02

Comment

AD you might not like this advice but I have used this regime or something very close before each Pac-Cup race I have done (5) and have found the conditioning well worth it when you get a spin wrap in a squall at 0300 D/H and totally fatigued.

P I would not want to rely on the time it takes to get up the rig with an ATN when things go south. I recommend a good climbing harness you trust hanging upside down in and can put on in the dark without thinking about it.

Just my .02
              Yer spot on WD, I just have some chores around here that needs tending to and if EVK4 was bored, I can help! I was kidding about the rocks, back pack should be filled with beer.

Comment

Just my .02
                Yessiree...
                Concrete and cars are their own prison bars....
                Meridian Racing

Comment

Hmmm, well my daughter has a friend who is very buff and just got his Eagle Scout, I am trying to recruit him as a bowman...

Comment

I was chuckling thinking of our state of preparation. Looks like our first day back in the water (since November) is going to be the DH farallones. We are dying to get the projects finished and start practicing...

Hey, we still don't know what our PC start date will be. Anybody have connections with the management to ask if they have a beginning "provisional" idea of divisions and start dates that could possibly get "leaked" out to the general public?
                    18' Skiff - USA Black
                    18' Skiff - CT Sailbattens

Comment

So are those dudes with the Farr 36 really gonna do this?
                      Meridian Racing

Comment

Originally posted by doghouse View Post
                        So are those dudes with the Farr 36 really gonna do this?
                        Yup, the Pony is on. Not sure how the plans are going for converting it to offshore ready; that thing is going to be wet and lit-up...
                        18' Skiff - USA Black
                        18' Skiff - CT Sailbattens

Comment

You have no idea.....

If they want a lead on a hard dodger, let me know. We are in the middle of having one made for the Pineapple Cup, but the boat is probably going to be sold before then.
                          Meridian Racing

Comment

whataminute! i thought the design was offshore-capable? what's this dodger bullshit?

s.

Comment

If a Volvo 70 has it, I'm ok with adding it.

It's really not needed, just makes it nice for climbing in and out.
                              Meridian Racing

Comment

Working...
                              X