Keywords
Members
Tags
ronnie simpson x
  •  

• The End Of One Journey Sparks Desire To Continue The Objective

The End Of One Journey Sparks Desire To Continue The Objective

Long, but final debrief.

A bit over 10 days ago, my participation in the Global Solo Challenge came to an abrupt and unfortunate end when I dismasted in the South Atlantic Ocean. I had just written a downtrodden and somber blog entry a day or two before where I expressed how challenging and inhospitable the South Atlantic Ocean had been to me.

Sure enough, she finished me off shortly after that entry. While navigating northward
    See more | Go to post

• Retrospect: The Days Leading Up To The Abandonment Of Shipyard Brewing

Live to fight another day - The tough reality of ocean sailing

By Marco Nannini.

The skippers of the Global Solo Challenge have to endure months of navigation in the roaring forties and screaming fifties to reach Cape Horn. After braving storms, technical difficulties, fatigue and cold temperatures, the legendary cape feels like the big prize for all the efforts each skipper has put into their project. It is a reward and a climax not just in their...
    See more | Go to post

• Ronnie Simpson Plucked Out Of Southern Atlantic

Ronnie Simpson Plucked Out Of Southern Atlantic

We could not be happier in relaying the news that Ronnie Simpson is safe and well and has boarded the Taiwanese ship SAKIZAYA YOUTH. We can only imagine the mix of relief and sadness as Ronnie had to bid his last farewell to Sparrow, aka Shipyard Brewing, his companion in this amazing journey by the bitter ending but the countless amazing memories....
    See more | Go to post

• Shipyard Crewing Dismasted In South Atlantic

Shipyard Crewing Dismasted In South Atlantic

It is with a very heavy heart that we have to write this update. At approximately 0200 UTC, Ronnie Simpson blew up at Shipyard Brewing.
    An exasperated Ronnie Simpson notes the following:

He was racing to stay ahead of a very deep depression when the boat launched off a massive wave.
    He has cut most of the rig away, and deployed a drogue to keep the stern to the seas and activated his epirb and requested...
    See more | Go to post

• February 1st Global Solo Update

February 1st Global Solo Update

Ronnie Simpson’s farewell storm before Cape Horn and other challenges
    By Marco Nannini.

Ronnie Simpson is approaching Cape Horn with less than 200 miles to go to the summit of his “Everest of the Seas”, a metaphor we’ve been using to try to convey what an incredible achievement it is to reach this milestone in a solo circumnavigation. Ronnie patiently paced his arrival to the tip of the south American continent to avoid two nasty storms that...
    See more | Go to post

• A Brutal Approach To Cape Horn

A Brutal Approach To Cape Horn

Complex, tricky, difficult weather for Cole Brauer

I am sure many of you follow the weather evolving around Cole Brauer and are trying to make sense of it. Cole and her shore team have monitored and acted very carefully as the weather to Cape Horn developed and changed. We should probably clarify that weather models are reliable for 2-3 days in the future, then they move on to giving an indication of what might happen. They may show a low pressure moving and it's...
    See more | Go to post

• Dec 22nd Update From Cole And Ronnie

Dec 22nd Update From Cole And Ronnie

Cole Brauer
    First Light

The Southern Ocean has been the Ocean of Trick and Treats. I’ll be sailing along, maybe it’s even light winds, everything seems a little unsteady, I’m on my feet maybe I am ready maybe I am about to. I can feel something in the air. The boat doesn’t feel right. Something is coming. As I’m getting my gear on the boat goes into a broach. Not a bad broach, a shift broach. A broach where the wind shifts enough
    See more | Go to post

• The Ups And Downs Of The Indian Ocean

The Ups And Downs Of The Indian Ocean

After discovering a rip in the mainsail on Thursday, Ronnie Simpson aboard Shipyard Brewing been tirelessly working to get the sail back to operational status.

Facing a rush to the start line and acknowledging a lack of ideal preparation, Ronnie has been navigating a series of repairs with limited resources. He employed a zig-zag stitch to mend the torn areas of the sail and resourcefully used hydranet cloth from an old staysail. This cloth was affixed with sikaflex and
    See more | Go to post

• One Month And One Cape In

One Month And One Cape In

Thanksgiving At Sea, And The Realities Of The Southern Ocean: Captains log, Episode 8

Shipyard Brewing blog

Friday December 1, 2023

A day of milestones

There are a number of milestones to be celebrated and reflected upon in this entry. I have now been out here at sea for more than a month. Shipyard Brewing and I have now passed the 1/4 way mark in this long journey of ours; on the theoretical route at least....
    See more | Go to post

• Switching Hemispheres : Ronnie Digging South

Switching Hemispheres : Ronnie Digging South

Shipyard Brewing Blog

Tuesday November 14 – 1400

Aloha from the Southern Hemisphere! At 0349 UTC this morning, myself and Shipyard Brewing crossed the equator headed south. The first major milestone in this journey around the globe, this milestone is the accumulation of a lot of smaller milestones. First it was the start, and then getting out of Europe. The Canary Islands, the Cape Verdes and then the Doldrums. And now beating across the Southeast Trades,
    See more | Go to post
Working...
X